Got your new windows in Calgary? Ready to undertake the process of replacing your old ones?
5 Steps To Install Windows in Calgary
1) Measure the Window
Start by measuring the height and width of the window. You’ll need to know the exact measurements of the pocket opening to ensure that the window replacement isn’t a problem for you. The best way to go about measuring the windows includes:
- Measure the height inside the existing frame in three places, including the middle, right and left sides
- Follow the same process with the width of the window
Your window should be 3/4 inches smaller than your window opening, so you can easily replace your old one.
2) Remove Your Current Window
This might be the most difficult part of the whole process as you have to ensure you have a clean slate to install your new windows. Follow these steps to removing your window safely and securely:
- Cut through old paint or caulk with a utility knife
- Remove interior and exterior moulding
- Remove the sashes and fasteners of the window
- Slowly lift out the window, which should come out in two parts
- Cut loose any remaining fasteners or old caulk
As a tip, always wear gloves and glasses to protect yourself.
3) Prep the New Area
Once the window has been removed, give it a thorough clean. Ensure that there are no pieces left in the opening, and that’s a clean slate for you to use.
Go over the new opening and ensure that everything is in good working order. If it calls for it, replace any damaged areas, or apply new caulking in specific spots.
4) Double Check the Measurements
To ensure that your windows fit perfectly with the opening, centre your new window in the opening, supporting it with blocks. This should give you a good overview if the window fits properly.
If not, you might have to readjust the window opening again by clearing it out or widening it.
Once the window fits perfectly within the opening, you’re good to proceed to Step 5.
5) Install the New Window
Now, it’s the final step: installing your new windows. Here is how you go about doing it:
- Apple a line of caulk to the inside of the opening
- Carefully place the new window into the opening, pressing it hard against the caulking
- Place shims to secure the window
- Double-check the shims to ensure proper placement of the window, looking perfectly square. If not, adjust the shims until the window is aligned properly
- Screw in the shims tightly
- Re-check that sashes to ensure they are fitted and level
- Apply insulation around the window to ensure proper coverage
Getting Professional Window Replacement in Calgary
If undertaking a window replacement in Calgary is too much for you, then you can always look towards hiring a professional to do the job for you. They’ll make sure your window is installed correctly, saving you the time, money and stress that comes with it. You’re always guaranteed to get a new window without any problems if you do it.
For all of your window replacement and installation needs, Window Seal West will provide professional and quality service. Window Seal West is your 100% Canadian-owned window replacement and installation company serving Calgary, Edmonton, and Red Deer. For the best in high quality, energy-efficient windows and doors at factory direct pricing, Window Seal West has you covered. Questions or comments? Contact us by phone at 1 (877) 818-4211 or email us at [email protected]